Monday, August 6, 2012

Digital Painting; graphic novel style

I'm at work on a graphic novel (which I hope to debut here at some point). My first revelation?  Writing is hard.  Really, really hard.  But I remain determined - hopeful that eventually the zillions of bad ideas I have will distill themselves into the good ideas I'll need to make my story work. Writing resembles illustrating in that, much like making art, when you attempt to fill up a blank page, there are infinite possibilities. For success and for failure.


It's maddening, but when it works, it's magic.

So along with writing, I'm working to create a visual style.  This is a promo piece, hand-drawn and painted in Photoshop, which will go out to publishers.  I feel like it has something of the look I'm going for.  Maybe not totally there yet, but getting there.

3 comments:

Coreopsis said...

I know what you mean about writing, for sure.

And this is a FANTASTIC visual piece--very dynamic and beautiful to look at. I could totally imagine a whole graphic novel in this style.

Ellen Byrne said...

Gorgeous work!

Unknown said...

Good luck with the graphic novel. Yeah, writing is hard. I love this piece. I saw it on Illustration Friday and had to check it out closer. Great work.