Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Larger-Than-Life Drawing


This past weekend I attended a life drawing session at The Slipper Room, a burlesque theater in the east village. As one might expect from such a venue, this was not your usual, academic life drawing experience.
I wasn't sure what to expect, and found myself walking from a sunny New York street into a dark theater that had the look and feel of a David Lynch set. It was noir and glam and seedy and very, very cool. I found a seat in front of a stage swathed in straight-from-the-bordello satin curtains. The model was a wonderful burlesque performer in full costume, complete with flowers, spangles, lucite heels and a pair of sparkly wings. Excellent.


It's been a long time since I've done any life drawing, so I was pretty rusty. The Slipper Room has a bar, so a glass of wine took care of that. Soon the music, the model and the wine worked their magic....three hours of drawing passed before I knew it.


Respect to the creators of Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School for making this amazing and inspiring experience possible. I'll definitely be going again.


2 comments:

Mary L Connolly Jewelry said...

Your updated work is fabulous!! Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Oh ! My gosh, these are beautiful Margeaux. I love it....
I think it's amazing. Keep up the
good work.

Marie